Obstacles are barriers that pop up throughout our lives at various times when we don’t want to see them. They usually prevent us from getting to where we think we need to be or obtaining what we think we need to get. They make us frustrated, annoyed and at times exasperated. There is not a person on the earth that has not experienced obstacles at some point in their life. Depending on how we face these obstacles will determine if we get stuck in the hidden traps or overcome them. As people of faith we might consider these 5 steps.
1. STOP & CHECK YOURSELF pushing something that clearly isn’t going to move is exhausting and pointless, so stop and evaluate your situation. Ask yourself how badly do I need this and why? This will bring into focus your motivation and the passion that drives you for it. This obstacle may be there to teach you something valuable about yourself and your relationship with God. Pausing for discernment is a positive step to understanding if this desire is from God or from the ego? will it be good for you or not?
2. DO THE RIGHT THING WHEN THE WRONG THING IS HAPPENING when we are frustrated and irritated by our situation it’s as though we are being tested at every turn. We may lose our patience and begin to lash out at others, make quick decisions and exhaust dead-end pursuits. These obstacles sometimes challenge our faith and we begin to question what we believe. This is an opportunity for us to grow in our faith by standing by what we know to be right and making healthy decisions when everything seems to be against us. There is a term often used “fake it until you make it.”
3. DON’T GET STUCK we can easily get stuck staring at our obstacle in disbelief and self-pity. This is a trap that we can’t allow to happen. Licking your wounds too long can create bigger wounds and infections. Don’t do it! it will only make you paralyzed staring at a closed-door instead of noticing the others that have opened around you.
4. LET GO of your need to control the situation. Rely on God’s strength to help you and watch how much easier the journey becomes. Sometimes the obstacles are things we love from our past that God is asking us to let go of. We can hold on so tightly to what was, that are hands are too full to grasp what should be. Sometimes these set backs are God’s way of orchestrating where and how He is going to move you into something better.
5. TRUST in God and yourself that in time, together, you WILL find a way to go over it, around it, or blast through it. The blessings waiting for you on the other side will be completely worth it!! As my sweet Sophia says to me time and time again whenever I mutter under my breath ” I can’t do it!” she sings this verse, “keep trying, keep trying, don’t give up, never give up!!” when I try again and do it, she smiles a sweet smile of satisfaction and giggles, “I told you Gammy you have to keep trying.” This is the quiet voice of God to each of us as he strengthens us to conquer our goals.
Habakkuk 3:19 The Sovereign LORD is my strength! He makes me as surefooted as a deer, able to tread upon the heights.