Do you sometimes feel like you are carrying the weight of the world on your back? I do, between climate changes, debt, health care, education, taxes, family crisis, human traffic, a missing plane full of people from Malaysia, need I continue? I think you get the picture. It’s all-consuming and can leave us feeling drained and depleted. There isn’t a whole lot we can do about most of these life situations but, there is a lot we can do about getting ourselves refueled and ready to take on life’s challenges.
We can start by giving ourselves spiritual maintenance as a prerequisite not a when I’m almost out of fuel option.
How can we do this? we plug into our life source (God). Keep in mind Jesus had to do this as well. Matthew 14:23 “And after he had dismissed the crowds, he went up on the mountain by himself to pray” and we read it again in Luke 6:12, John 6:3 and Mark 1:35 I think there are about 12 references in scripture showing the importance Jesus placed on refueling himself before he did anything important. Shouldn’t we learn by His example? Here are 9 ways we can refuel.
1. Read the scriptures ~ the word of God is alive and holds power to transform.
2. Visit Adoration ~ some churches offer 24 hour adoration, first Friday, weekly or one day of the week. Recall the Scripture of the woman who said, if I only touch the hem of his garment I will be healed, she did and she was. Now imagine that hem is the Monstrance and His power is radiating out of Him to you.
3. Reflect on a daily devotional~ You might try Jesus Calling, the word among us, streams in the desert, just to name a few.
4. Volunteer for a charity ~ giving to others frees you from your problems and has a way of rejuvenating your spirit.
5. Visit those in a nursing home or hospital ~ so many children in the hospital get left alone as more single parents have other children at home to care for. Many elderly do not get many visits from family and friends you will surely make their day and in the process they will make yours.
6. Go on a retreat~ retreats are a way to encounter the love and presence of God. Find a retreat center closest to you and schedule a retreat, whether directed or silent you will be fulfilled and refueled.
7. Go for a walk or hike in nature~ this is one of my all time favorite ways to encounter God. Being in nature and seeing God in all of creation is rejuvenating.
8. Keep a gratitude journal~ when you count your blessings you notice the presence of God in your life actively working, you will feel more positive towards yourself and life.
9. Mass ~ gathering with others as a community to worship connects you to something larger than yourself. The Mass also holds within its structure the many elements and Sacraments meant to strengthen you. Check out the schedules of a Church near you.
You can also create a sacred space to refuel in your own home. Pick a spot, shut off your phone, computer, TV, and anything that will distract you and enter into the peace of Christ. Whatever and wherever you choose to refuel with God, just do it. Your body, mind and soul needs it and refueling on a regular basis helps you to maintain the weight of life’s stresses with ease.
Iyanla Vanzant ~In the same way that we feed our bodies three times a day, we should feed our spirit. Just as we would never consider running our car without gas, we should not consider running our lives without the power of the Divine.
Jesus said to them, “Very truly I tell you, it is not Moses who has given you the bread from heaven, but it is my Father who gives you the true bread from heaven. For the bread of God is the bread that comes down from heaven and gives life to the world.” “Sir,” they said, “always give us this bread.” Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty. — John 6:32-35